Photograph by Taehoon Kim/Concord Monitor
Irene has inspired thousands over the past three decades through her presentations, lectures, and film. She reminds us all of our ability to make meaningful change through seemingly small gestures, and reminds us that “refusing to be an enemy” and “never being a bystander” makes all the difference in the world. Here is what you can do.
Invite irene to speak
Irene's favorite audiences are students, especially middle school age students whose worlds are just beginning to expand. Irene is also available to Skype.
Share irene's story
- Watch and share the film Never a Bystander, which talks about Irene's life and remarkable accomplishments.
- Order the DVD Refusing to be Enemies to learn about facilitating dialogue across differences.
Commit to volunteering 4 hours
That’s it. Research social justice issues important to you in the world or in your local community. Start small. Think about what’s important to you and get involved, in your local government, with non-profits, or volunteer with national or international organizations. Just devote 1 hour a week to something you care about.
Learn about the organizations that Irene believes in deeply
- Raoul Wallenberg Medal & Lecture: First presented in 1990 by the University of Michigan, the medal has been bestowed on a select number of individuals whose courage, selflessness, and success against great odds personifies Raoul Wallenberg himself.
- Zeitouna: Promotes the peaceful, just, and sustainable coexistence of the Arab and Jewish peoples through connection, trust, empathy, and action.
- The Practice of Tibetan Buddhism: The Pema Chodron Foundation is dedicated to preserving and sharing Pema’s inspiration and teachings in order that they might help us all awaken wisdom and compassion in ourselves and the world around us.
- Southern Poverty Law Center: Monitors hate groups and other extremists throughout the U.S. and exposes their activities to law enforcement agencies, the media, and the public.
- Equal Justice Initiative: Confronts racial injustice, advocates for equality, and creates hope for marginalized communities.